There's a blog that I love checking on about once a week, just to see what she's up to and get some inspiration from (which usually just involves me thinking about it, because her style is SO not something the Husbeast could live with, but which I like). Recently she had this post and I said 'oooh, we could both agree on that!'. My in-laws were in town, they had taken Little Boy off to St Louis for a couple days, so I figured I could knock it out while they were gone.
Off to Orange I went! I bought 2 2x4' sheets of particle board, some 'screen door' trim and some lattice trim. The lattice trim is because I decided to do the trim around the outside to hide the gap between the mirror and wall that the hanger creates (which was a huge peeve of mine about our current mirror).(this is referenced in The Lettered Cottage's tut for this mirror). Also bought liquid nails, mirror mastic, a bracket to hook the two pieces of particle board together, a french cleat rated for 100 pounds, and a can of Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. I couldn't find the mirror flowers there, so I picked those up at Blue. I didn't find white ones like Layla shows, so I bought 2 4-packs of the clear plastic kind. Tried Walmart first for the mirror tiles, and sure enough they had them at 3$ each.
At home I laid out the screen door trim (which I had cut to the width of the mirror tiles) and the mirrors and measured how large I needed the particle board to be. Basically, I followed Layla's tutorial pretty much exactly, but I didn't spray paint until the end (before attaching the mirrors). My big issue with all 3 of the tuts I read was that nobody had specified how thick their particle board was! The only kind I could get here was about 1/8th inch thick, and turned out to be a poor choice. So, I took apart all of my work (I hadn't gotten TOO far, thankfully) and went back to Blue to see what they had. I ended up finding a nice piece of 1/4" plywood, in a 4x4 sheet. So, no need to use the bracket or hook together two pieces. I just cut it down to size and moved on. I used a scrap 1x3 for the back support for the french cleat. Most of the mirror is just held together with Liquid Nails. I did put a couple nails in to the back trim.
I attached the french cleat to the 1x3 at this point. In each square I did 2 lines of mirror mastic, with a dot in the middle. Pressed each tile down and then let it cure for 24 hours.